• Jen
    A close family member has decided to live 300 miles away to assert their independence.
    We worry constantly because they have multiple physical and mental difficulties. They have no real friends locally. How can we help him when he doesn't want to be helped?
  • Kez
    That's a tough situation for you to be in, but perhaps he really needs to embark on this journey for himself and it will be a challenging but positive experience.
    If he is secure in the knowledge you are always there, even if it is long distance, and ready to help in any way you can, that's a wonderful support for him in itself.
  • Sarah
    That is tricky and I feel your concern. As someone with physical issues I understand how/why your relative may not want help and/or cannot communicate effectively the kind of help that would be useful. And I also understand how difficult this is for you. Could you try keeping in touch by just having a friendly 'chat', not offering help, just being there like you would any other relative? This could open a positive and 'unloaded' channel of communication. Good luck:)
  • Dora
    Without putting any pressure on him, could you explain your concerns for him and let him know it's only because you care? Perhaps that could help him to see that he doesn't need to be so far in order to assert his independence?
  • Huklw
    Would your relative be willing to compromise and perhaps live a little closer? That way they get their independence and you have the comfort of knowing there is someone close by should they ever need it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment